US Department of Veterans Affairs
Recognition and Information for Veterans
During your time in service to our country, you’ve mastered skills that few others will achieve. As you begin to consider your options post-service, now is the time to earn professional credentials that translate into civilian jobs. Earning a certification proves to future employers that you have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to master your next career and also sets you apart from the crowd. NASP proudly participates in the Department of Defense’s Credentialing Opportunities On-line (COOL) program to assist you as you transition out of the armed forces. The COOL program is available to every branch of the armed forces and supports service members during their study. Check out your branch’s COOL site and learn how to make the most out of our transition to civilian life. You’ve earned these amazing benefits; now it’s time to use them!
Approved for Department of Veterans Affairs GI Educational Benefits
You can receive GI Bill reimbursement for licensing and certificate tests. These tests must be specifically approved for the G.I. Bill. There is no limit to the number of tests you may take, or number of times you may take the same test. The VA will pay for tests even if you fail them. The VA can pay only for the cost of the tests, up to $2,000.00 for each test. They cannot issue reimbursement for other fees connected with obtaining a license or certificate. Payment is issued after you submit proof of payment, etc. to the VA. You may utilize Chapter 30 benefits (Montgomery Bill) or Chapter 33 benefits (Post 9/11 bill) for reimbursement for licensing and certificate tests.
To find out which National Association of Safety Professionals tests are approved for reimbursement, click here. (L&C Name: “safety” or the specific test name / LAC Category Type: “both”)
In addition, you may be eligible to use Chapter 31 benefits (Vocational Rehabilitation) for courses and tests provided by the National Association of Safety Professionals. Check with your Vocational Rehabilitation counselor and have them contact NASP/IASP.
How to apply for reimbursement:
- Complete and submit your online application here.
- Fill out an Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certificate Test Fees form and return it to your regional office. Click here for form and address information (PDF file).
- To find out which tests are approved for reimbursement, click here. (L&C Name: “safety” or the specific test name / LAC Category Type: “both”)
Application Checklist – What You Will Need:
- Your Full Name
- Your Mailing Address
- Your Home Phone Number (with area code)
- Your Social Security Number
- Your VA File Number (if different from your Social Security Number)
- Name of Test
- Date Test Taken
- Cost of Test
- A copy of your test results or a copy of your license or certificate
- Name & Address of Organization Issuing certificate: National Association of Safety Professionals – PO Box 3367, Wilmington, NC 28406
- Statement: “I hereby authorize the release of my test information to the Department of Veterans Affairs”
- Your Signature and Date Signed
For More Information
If you have questions about licensing and certificate reimbursement or applying for benefits, you can:
- Visit the website here.
- Call at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551), or for the hearing-impaired call 1-800-829-4833.