US Department of Veterans Affairs
Recognition and Information for Veterans

Approved for Department of Veterans Affairs GI Educational Benefits

You can receive GI Bill reimbursement for licensing and certificate tests. These tests must be specifically approved for the G.I. Bill. There is no limit to the number of tests you may take, or number of times you may take the same test. VA will pay for tests even if you fail them. VA can pay only for the cost of the tests, up to $2,000.00 for each test. They cannot issue reimbursement for other fees connected with obtaining a license or certificate. Payment is issued after you submit proof of payment, etc. to the VA.

How to apply for reimbursement:

  • Complete and submit your online application here.
  • Fill out an Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certificate Test Fees form and return it to your regional office. Click here for form and address information (PDF file).
  • To find out which tests are approved for reimbursement, click here. (L&C Name: “safety” or the specific test name / LAC Category Type: “both”)

Application Checklist – What You Will Need:

  • Your Full Name
  • Your Mailing Address
  • Your Home Phone Number (with area code)
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your VA File Number (if different from your Social Security Number)
  • Name of Test
  • Date Test Taken
  • Cost of Test
  • A copy of your test results or a copy of your license or certificate
  • Name & Address of Organization Issuing certificate: National Association of Safety Professionals – PO Box 3367, Wilmington, NC 28406
  • Statement: “I hereby authorize the release of my test information to the Department of Veterans Affairs”
  • Your Signature and Date Signed

For More Information
If you have questions about licensing and certificate reimbursement or applying for benefits, you can:

  • Visit the website here.
  • Call at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551), or for the hearing-impaired call 1-800-829-4833.
Home » Veteran Benefits