Job Title:EHS Specialist
Company:SPX Transformer Solutions, Inc.
Location: Dallas, Texas
Under direct supervision, Will be responsible for auditing and observing safety and environmental processes during project activities, as well as overseeing training for field service personnel for safety and technical activities. Develops and implements long-range remedial environmental solutions in response to environmental investigations and property assessments to reduce environmental risk and protect company assets. Conducts studies and investigations to ensure compliance with government safety and health laws, standards and regulations. Coordinates company responses and solutions with business plans; company, federal, state, and local environmental, health and safety regulation matters. Promotes safety-conscious work performance and training programs. Ensures that sites contaminated with hazardous waste and production by-products are cleaned up in accordance with government regulations. May take responsibility for site investigations. May conduct safety audits of buildings, facilities, tools and equipment and determines safety training requirements and provides employees with safety training applicable to their work processes. Support accident/incident investigationss to determine the root cause, circumstances, and contributing factors and develops recommendations and follow-up to prevent accident recurrence.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform job site and facility inspections on a routine basis.
- Provide onsite support to field technicians through safety inspections and reviewing findings with crew members.
- Oversight of safety and health programs to be followed by all field service personnel in accordance with OSHA, NFPA-70E, federal, state, local and customer requirements. SPX programs include, but not limited to the following:
o Safety Manual
o PPE Requirements
o Accident investigations
o Hazard Analysis
o Training Program – material, modules, and intervals
o Maintenance of training and audit records
o Drug and Alcohol – policy and testing
o Behavior based safety program
- Assist with Contractor Safety Qualification submittals and audits
- Assist in hazard analysis and electrical safety as required
- Assist with customer safety compliance programs
- Assist and facilitate external partners’ safety training as required
- Assist and facilitate external partners’ periodic safety audits as required
- Assist accident investigations as required
- Assist with any federal, state, local or customer safety investigation, inspection or audit.
- Assist in resolution of customer inquiries or questions regarding safety issues
- Assist in documentation and development of standard work practices
- Assist with maintenance of Company’s environmental programs to be followed by all field service personnel in accordance EPA, federal, state, local and customer requirements. SPX programs include:
o SPCC Program
o Release reporting
o Hazardous material handling and communications
o DOT regulations
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Relevant technical certifications in EH&S, etc.
- Demonstrated understanding of national Health & Safety laws and regulations
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment that is fast paced and demanding
- Must be self-directed, have excellent initiative and organizational skills
- Exhibit a strong ability to handle multiple demands with a sense of urgency, drive and energy
- Work well under stress with the ability to deliver on time
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability to travel via plane and vehicle
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Required Education / Experience
- Minimum of three (3) years in construction safety, hazard recognition, accident investigation and root cause analysis.
Preferred Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health & Safety, Environmental, engineering or related field
Experience working in substations and/or with power transformers.
Key Working Relationships
Field Service Technicians, Field Service Managers, General Manager, Human Resources, Customers, EH&S
- Requirement to remain in a standing position 90% of the time.
- Travel 95% of the time to different job sites throughout the region
- Ability to work from heights, up to 40 feet.
- Ability to climb, stoop, squat, kneel
- Ability to stand and/or sit for up extended periods of time (8 hours driving, 8 hours standing)
- This is a non-controlled environment in terms of climate – subject to weather at jobsite location.