Job Title:EHS Manager
Location: Durham, NC
The Manager, Environment, Health and Safety (EH&S) is responsible for driving results in a fast-paced environment and is accountable for developing, implementing and sustaining EH&S programs at the Charleston, SC sterile fill/finish laboratory facilities with supporting warehouse, maintenance and administration spaces. You will provide support to warehousing, validation and metrology facilities in the Northeastern US with periodic trips to those locations. The Manager, EH&S ensures the safety of all employees, visitors and contractors; protection of the environment and maintenance of compliance with all Federal, State and local regulations. Additionally, the Manager EH&S will work closely with other EH&S team members ensure program alignment. The position requires superior leadership behaviors of the Alcami core competencies and non-negotiables, as well as functional knowledge and expertise of applicable Federal, State and local regulations within the pharmaceutical industry, and demonstrate excellent problem solving and investigation skills using root-cause analysis and ensuring appropriate corrective and preventative measures, and excellent interpersonal, facilitation, training, written and verbal communications skills.
- Fosters a culture where safety compliance are top priority and employees are actively engaged.
- Be a customer service focused leader ensuring training, waste management, training and other support activities occur in an efficient and timely manner to support production.
- Serves as a member of the Site Leadership Team (SLT) as an advisor in safety and emergency topics.
- Ensures compliance with environmental regulations including SPCC permits, RCRA waste management, and discharge permitting to the POTW.
- Works closely with site management to identify and mitigate hazards and unsafe behaviors while incentivizing safe work practices.
- Implements and maintains EH&S compliance programs including Hazard Communication, Waste Management, Permit-to-Work, Ergonomics, Powered Industrial Trucks, Fire Safety and Emergency Response.
- Monitors and evaluates occupational safety and health conditions including physical, chemical and/or biological hazards.
- Coordinates and provides specialized EH&S training classes within the company to meet regulatory requirements, to increase hazard recognition and to mitigate risks.
- Conducts assessments, inventories and inspections to ensure compliance and program effectiveness including participation in peer audits at other Alcami facilities.
- Ensures medical, hazmat and safety processes and supplies are maintained and serve as part of the hazmat and medical response teams.
- Serves as the liaison with Federal, State and local regulatory agencies.
- Conducts and/or reviews incident investigations and the development of appropriate corrective and preventive actions (CAPA).
- Develops job hazard assessment for high risk activities.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial hygiene, safety, engineering or scientific field required.
- 3-5 years of EH&S experience in a laboratory or manufacturing setting required.
- Prior pharmaceutical or CDMO experience preferred.
- Consistently demonstrates honesty and integrity through personal example.
- Follows all safety policies and leads by example a safety-first culture.
- Produces high quality work product with a focus on first time right.
- Complies with the company code of conduct and policies and regulatory standards.
Alcami Core Leadership Competencies
- Thinks strategically. Quickly identifies and acts on opportunities. Considers the downstream impact. Seeks to understand the why. Focuses on work that matters.
- Develops organization and others. Takes ownership to develop self and others. Seeks out new opportunities and experiences for continuous learning.
- Acts decisively. Makes and acts on decisions quickly. Makes decisions with the customer and their patients in mind. Meets commitments with a sense of urgency. Seeks ways to be more efficient.
- Drives performance. Holds self and others accountable. Delivers results first time right. Never settles for status quo. Willing to have tough conversations. Asks for feedback and takes action to improve.
- Passion for customers. Listens to understand. Asks the right questions. Gets to the heart of the matter and uses that insight to provide value.
- Works collaboratively. Seeks out the experience of others with the aim for better results. Open minded regardless where ideas originate. Flexible and easy to work with.
- Expert knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and local environmental and safety regulations along with the ability to quickly interpret complex issues and provide recommended course of action.
- Excellent problem solving and ability to conduct investigations using root-cause analysis ensuring appropriate corrective and preventative measures required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to influence and interact with employees at all levels.
- Excellent organizational, presentation and written and verbal communication skills required.
- Prior experience developing and facilitating training programs.
- Technological proficiency required.
Decision Making and Supervision Required
- Uses professional concepts and company policies and SOPs to solve a broad range of difficult problems.
- Determines methods and procedures, including new assignments and the work of others.
- Up to 20% travel required
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and smell. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level is moderate. Occasionally, employee may be exposed to airborne particles and fumes. Occasionally, employee may be exposed to chemicals. Must have the ability to wear PPE including respiratory protection as required. Employee occasionally may be exposed to moving mechanical parts and vibration.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
What We Offer You:
• Competitive salary with career advancement opportunities
• Bonus plan
• Medical, dental and vision coverage from day one
• 401(k) with company match
• Company paid vacation, holiday and sick-leave
• Voluntary benefits including short & long-term disability, life, accident, critical illness insurances
Diversity and Inclusion:
Alcami values diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, past or present military service, marital status, gender identification or expression, medical condition (including genetic characteristics) or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
As part of our effort to provide and maintain a safe and healthful workplace, Alcami Corporation requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after their second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or 2 weeks after a single-dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Individuals seeking an exemption from this requirement for medical or religious reasons should contact HR to complete a request for accommodation form.