Job Title:Public Works Safety Manager
Company:City of St. Charles
Location: St. Charles, Illinois - USA
Apply on line at https://www.stcharlesil.gov/jobs no later than October 9, 2023.
Resumes and additional documents can be attached in the on-line application system. If you are unable to apply online, or for other assistance, please contact 630-377-4446.
The City of St. Charles strives to hire highly skilled, competent, dedicated, customer-oriented staff who pride themselves on performing their duties to the highest level of excellence. If you seek a rewarding opportunity in public service with a great team, you may be the candidate we are looking for! This position is responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing safety programs in compliance with federal and state regulations and/or guidelines including OSHA and EPA (IEPA) compliance programs. Reports to the Assistant Director of Public Works.
- Develops or procures training materials and services of training professionals, establishes training programs, and conducts safety trainings and a full range of safety programs necessary to ensure OSHA and federal MUTCD compliance for the City
- Ensures safety and training program documentation, including employee training files, meets the requirements of OSHA regulations
- Performs building, worksite and equipment inspections; collects and maintains appropriate accident and injury statistics, regulatory documentation and records; conducts worksite interviews and safety discussions; collects data analysis to identify trends; completes job hazard analysis reports; and completes accident or incident investigations and follow-up reports
- Researches, develops and implements safety policies, procedures, and programs in areas such as accident investigation and prevention, motor vehicle safety, confined space, hearing conservation, building safety, ergonomics, environmental recycling and control, and various Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) mandated programs
- Performs special technical duties as the department’s “Hazard Material Coordinator”, “Hazard Communication Manager”, “Respirator Program Administrator”, and other required positions as indicated by OSHA, EPA (IEA) and other regulatory agencies
- Works closely with administrative staff, division managers, field staff, human resources, engineering consultants, state safety officials, and contractors associated with City projects and the public
- Assist with the preparation and implementation of the Public Works safety budget and responsible for the Public Works Safety Committee
- Bachelor’s degree in occupational safety or health, industrial hygiene, safety management, or a closely related field
- Five years of related experience in safety planning, programming coordination or administration
- Knowledge of principles and methods and measurement for safety curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction
- Thorough knowledge of work hazards and preventive safety measures and precautions, safety regulations, laws, legal codes, insurance and other state government regulations pertaining to safety but not limited to, OSHA and IDOL standards
- Professional certification through the Board of Certified Safety Professionals with Associate Safety Professional (ASP) status required within two years of employment and Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills to build rapport with subordinates, co-workers, contractors, management, and outside vendors are essential, as well as the ability to foster a positive team-oriented environment
- Computer skills with Word, Excel, Outlook, Calendar Creator, enterprise financial and accounting software, or similar software
- Valid driver’s license and willing and able to carry a communication device to respond to emergencies 24/7
- Work under varying environmental conditions and lift up to 25 pounds
- If selected, successful completion of a background check, physical, drug screen, and functional capacity evaluation are required
Salary and Benefits
Starting pay commensurate with experience. Competitive package of benefits to include medical, dental, prescription, vision, wellness incentives, life insurance, retirement pension plan with Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, other retirement savings options, and much more!
The City of St. Charles is an Equal Opportunity Employer.